Integrating external tools such as GivePulse can greatly enhance the functionality and learning experience within Canvas. If you're looking to integrate GivePulse with Canvas using LTI 1.3, this comprehensive guide will walk you through the process step-by-step. From configuring the LTI Key settings to adding GivePulse as an app in Canvas, we can ensure that you have a smooth and seamless integration of the two applications.
This article will cover:
Setting up GivePulse to Canvas
First, go to your group’s management dashboard.
Click on 'More Tools' and then 'LTI.'
You will then see the below LTI Configuration screen.
- Note: There is no need for LTI key and secret if you are using LTI Version 1.3.
Use a different browser window/tab to log into Canvas as an admin. Navigate to the Admin section:
Navigate to 'Developer Keys' in the navigation.
Click on Developer Key and select LTI Key.
Fill in the Key Settings information.
- Key Name - Set to GivePulse
- Redirect URIs - Copy the value from the OIDC Redirect URL field in GivePulse. Paste the value in the following fields in Canvas.
- Target Link URI - Same as Redirect URI.
- Method - Choose Manual Entry.
- Title Set to GivePulse.
- Description - GivePulse.
- OpenID Connect Initiation Url - Copy the OIDC Connect Initialization URL out of GivePulse. Paste the value in the following field in Canvas.
- JWK Method - Choose Public JWK URL.
- Public JWK URL - Copy the Keyset URL out of GivePulse. Paste the value in the following field in Canvas.
- In the LTI Advantage Services section, you want to check everything to ON.
- Copy the Domain value out of GivePulse. Paste the value In the Domain field in the Additional Settings section. (Please be sure to remove the slash / at the end of the URL - You will receive an error if included.)
- Make sure the Privacy Level is set to Public.
- In the Placements section, click the drop-down menu and choose Course Navigation to add it in.
- Click the Save button.
- In the Developer Keys list, find the key we just set up and toggle the State to ON, and copy the value (Client ID) in the Details column.
- Copy the value of the Key from the Show Key button under Client ID. Paste this value in the GivePulse configuration for both the application key and secret.
Adding the Givepulse App to Canvas
In Canvas, go to the account, subaccount, and/ or course that you’d like to be available in as an LTI 1.3 app.
Account (Root) Level Set up:
The steps below enable a one-time setup of GivePulse so you won't need to reinstall the app with each new course/semester.
Navigate to Admin - Settings - Apps - View App Configurations - +App.
Select Configuration Type: By Client ID and enter the Client ID of the Developer Key (from the previous step).
- Click Submit and save your Deployment ID for a later step.
Sub-Account Level Set up:
Same setup as a root level placement, but add the app in the relevant sub-account instead.
Course Level App Placement
The steps below are for those who prefer to do a manual install of GivePulse each time it is added to a new course and/or each time a new semester begins.
Navigate to Courses - Select the Course - Settings - Apps - View App Configurations - +App.
- Change Configuration Type to By Client ID by clicking the drop-down menu. Paste in the Client ID value we copied in the above step.
- Click Submit, click Install, and save your Deployment ID for a later step.
Go back to the GivePulse Configuration browser window/tab and fill in:
- Client ID - Paste the Client ID value we copied in the above step.
- Deployment ID - Paste the Deployment ID value copied in the above step.
- Application Key and Secret - Paste the Key value copied in the above step.
- OIDC Issuer - Set to https://canvas.instructure.com.
- Auth Request Endpoint - Set to https://canvas.instructure.com/api/lti/authorize_redirect.
- Keyset URL - Set to URL like https://<your-canvas-domain>/api/lti/security/jwks. For example, if your canvas domain is https://example.instructure.com, then you should fill in https://example.instructure.com/api/lti/security/jwks.
- Auth Token Endpoint Set to URL like https://<your-canvas-domain>/login/oauth2/token.
- Click Save
If you have any questions, please Submit a Support Ticket.